Sunday 22 May 2011

Hidden Obsessions..


A Mermaid 

This entry is specially made because of my obsession towards mermaids. Mermaid or commonly known as Duyung by us is a creature which I found fascinating. I love mermaid since I was small, due to watching Disney's show The Little Mermaid. Then, I watch a movie Aquamarine which was acted by Sarah Paxton. A mermaid is a mythological aquatic creature with a female human head and torso and the tail of a fish. Mermaids are represented broadly in folklore, literature and popular culture. Mermaid was told to be luring the sailors to the sea using their sweet voice. But, there are some views saying that mermaids squeez the life out of drowning men while attempting to rescue them.


Nyi Roro Kidul in Javanese culture

Mermaid is one of my favourite mythical creature because they are beautiful, shows femininity and at the same time mysterious. I find that mermaid history exist in many culture. In ancient Greek culture they are called as Sirens. While, in Japan they were known as Ningyo. Whereas for the Javanese believe that the southern beach in Java is a home of a Javanese mermaid queen Nyi Roro Kidul. It is said that one should not wear green coloured garments near the sea. This because it is the Queen's favourite colour and most probably she will drown the person who wears her favourite colour.


A beautiful mermaid.

I'm totally obsessed with mermaid.. Sometimes I wish I could be a mermaid.. ahahaha.. Can breath underwater and swimming gracefully in the sultry abyss of the sea.  ^ ^

I believe that mermaid exist and if they was merely a myth, I still wish that they exists in this world. Probably it's just that they didn't show themselves often to us humans. You know what are the nature of humans. One second they are nice and then only God can tell what they done. There's a lot for us to explore under the sea. I think these mermaids live in the deepest part of the ocean. That's why we can't find them.    


Maiden of the sea.


A graceful mermaid.. :)


3 comments:

  1. My favourite so far.
    Really enjoyed reading n looking at these beautiful, beautiful pictures of mermaids.
    A pleasant entry to be read..! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ehehe.. thanx Aleen.. Hope you'll enjoy reading my other coming entries.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you started on painting your own mermaids? Perhaps your interests will lead you to a career in marine biology, or as a painter - You never know!

    ReplyDelete